Dear All,

First of all thanks for a fascinating list - its my first read of the
morning.

Secondly I would like to ask a question. We currently have an EMC Celerra
NAS which we use for CIFS, NFS and iSCSI. Its not our favourite piece of
hardware and it is nearing the limits of its capacity (Tb) . We have two

    1) Expand the solution. Spend £££s, double the number of heads, double
the capacity and carry on as before.

    2) Look for something else.

    I have been watching ZFS for some time and have implemented it in
several niche applications. I would like to be able to consider using ZFS as
the basis of a NAS solution based around SAN storage, T{2,5}000 servers and
Sun Cluster.

Here is my wish list:

    Flexible provisioning (thin if possible)
    Hardware resilience/Transparent Failover
    Asynchronous Replication to remote site (1km) providing DR cover.
    NFS/CIFS/iSCSI
    Snaps/Cloning
    No single point of failure
    Integration with Active Directory/NFS
    Ability to restripe data onto "widened" pools.
    Ability to migrate data between storage pools.

As I understand it the combination of ZFS and SunCluster will give me all of
the above. Has anybody done this? How mature/stable is it. I understand that
SunCluster/HA-ZFS is supported but there seems to be little that I can find
on the web about it. Any information would be gratefully received.

Best Regards,

Vic

--
Vic Cornell
UNIX Systems Administrator

5-7 Abbey Court, Eagle Way, Sowton,
Exeter, Devon, EX2 7HY

T:  01392 888690
M: 07900 660266
F:  01392 441709

www.landmarkinfo.co.uk <http://www.landmarkinfo.co.uk>

Registered Office: 5-7 Abbey Court, Eagle Way, Sowton, Exeter, Devon, EX2 7HY
Registered Number 2892803 Registered in England & Wales

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to
legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take
any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable
precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail.
Landmark Information Group Limited cannot accept responsibility for loss or
damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that
you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.

www.landmarkinfo.co.uk