> when the difference between an unrecoverable single
> bit error is not just
> 1 bit but the entire file, or corruption of an entire
> database row (etc),
> those small and infrequent errors are an "extremely
> big" deal.

You are confusing unrecoverable disk errors (which are rare but orders of
magnitude more common) with otherwise *undetectable* errors (the occurrence of
which is at most once in petabytes by the studies I've seen, rather than once
in terabytes), despite my attempt to delineate the difference clearly.
Conventional approaches using scrubbing provide as complete protection against
unrecoverable disk errors as ZFS does:  it's only the far rarer otherwise
*undetectable* errors that ZFS catches and they don't.

- bill