When you say "starts throwing sense errors," does that mean every I/O to
the drive will fail, or some arbitrary percentage of I/Os will fail?  If
it's the latter, ZFS is trying to do the right thing by recognizing
these as transient errors, but eventually the ZFS diagnosis should kick
in.  What does '::spa -ve' in 'mdb -k' show in one of these situations?
How about '::zio_state'?

- Eric