sudarshan sridhar wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Data, whether newly written or
>> copy-on-write, goes to a newly allocated block, which may reside on any
>> vdev, and will be spread across devices if using RAID.

> My exact doubt is, if COW is default behavior of ZFS then does COWd data
> written to the same physical drive where the filesystem resides?

Yes.

> If so the physical device capacity should be more that what the file
> system size is.

Yes.

> I mean in normal filesystem sinario, a partition with 1Gb with some some
> filesystem (say ext2fs) is created, then use can save upto 1Gb data
> under that.

This is not true of any filesystem. There is always some overhead for
meta data like indirect blocks, journals, superblocks, space maps etc.
Some filesystems (eg UFS) have a fixed areas for meta data which limits
the number of files and possible data, whereas others dynamically allocate
the meta data (eg ZFS). The former is more predictable and the latter
more flexible.