parvez shaikh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am learning ZFS, its design and layout.
>
> I would like to understand how Intent logs are different from journal?
>
> Journal too are logs of updates to ensure consistency of file system
> over crashes. Purpose of intent log also appear to be same.  I hope I am
> not missing something important in these concepts.

There is a difference. A journal contains the necessary transactions to
make the on-disk fs consistent. The ZFS intent is not needed for consistency.
Here's an extract from http://blogs.sun.com/perrin/entry/the_lumberjack :

----
ZFS is always consistent on disk due to its transaction model. Unix system
calls can be considered as transactions which are aggregated into a transaction
group for performance and committed together periodically. Either everything
commits or nothing does. That is, if a power goes out, then the transactions in
the pool are never partial. This commitment happens fairly infrequently -
typically a few seconds between each transaction group commit.

Some applications, such as databases, need assurance that say the data they
wrote or mkdir they just executed is on stable storage, and so they request
synchronous semantics such as O_DSYNC (when opening a file), or execute
fsync(fd) after a series of changes to a file descriptor. Obviously waiting
seconds for the transaction group to commit before returning from the system
call is not a high performance solution. Thus the ZFS Intent Log (ZIL) was born.
----