Steve Hillman wrote:
> I realize that this topic has been fairly well beaten to death on this forum,
> but I've also read numerous comments from ZFS developers that they'd like to
> hear about significantly different performance numbers of ZFS vs UFS for
> NFS-exported filesystems, so here's one more.
>
> The server is an x4500 with 44 drives configured in a RAID10 zpool, and two
> drives mirrored and formatted with UFS for the boot device. It's running
> Solaris 10u4, patched with the Recommended Patch Set from late Dec/07. The
> client (if it matters) is an older V20z w/ Solaris 10 3/05. No tuning has
> been done on either box
>
> The test involved copying lots of small files (2-10k) from an NFS client to a
> mounted NFS volume. A simple 'cp' was done, both with 1 thread and 4 parallel
> threads (to different directories) and then I monitored to see how fast the
> files were accumulating on the server.
>
> ZFS:
> 1 thread - 25 files/second; 4 threads - 25 files/second (~6 per thread)
>
> UFS: (same server, just exported /var from the boot volume)
> 1 thread - 200 files/second; 4 threads - 520 files/second (~130/thread)

With this big a difference, I suspect the write cache is enabled on
the disks. UFS requires this cache to be disabled or battery backed
otherwise corruption can occur.

> For comparison, the same test was done to a NetApp FAS270 that the x4500 was
> bought to replace:
> 1 thread - 70 files/second; 4 threads - ~250 files/second

I don't know enough about that system but perhaps it has NVRAM or an SSD
to service the synchronous demands of NFS. An equivalent setup could be
configured with a separate intent log on a similar fast device.

> I have been able to work around this performance hole by exporting multiple
> ZFS filesystems, because the workload is spread across a hashed directory
> structure. I then get 25 files per FS per second. Still, I thought I'd raise
> it here anyway. If there's something I'm doing wrong, I'd love to hear about
> it.
>
> I'm also assuming that this ties into BugID 6535160  "Lock contention on
> zl_lock from zil_commit", so if that's the case, please add another vote for
> making this fix available as a patch for S10u4 users

I believe this is a different problem than 6535160.