[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Your finding for random reads with or without NCQ match my findings: http://
> blogs.sun.com/erickustarz/entry/ncq_performance_analysis
>
> Disabling NCQ looks like a very tiny win for the multi-stream read   case.  I
> found a much bigger win, but i was doing RAID-0 instead of   RAID-Z.

I didn't set out to do the with/without NCQ comparisons.  Rather, my
first runs of filebench and bonnie++ triggered a number of I/O errors
and controller timeout/resets on several different drives, so I disabled
NCQ based on bug 6587133's workaround suggestion.  No more errors
during subsequent testing, so we're running with NCQ disabled until
a patch comes along.

It was useful, however, to see what effect disabling NCQ had.  I find
filebench easier to use than bonnie++, mostly because filebench is
automatically multithreaded, which is necessary to generate a heavy
enough workload to exercise anything more than a few drives (esp.
on machines like T2000's).  The HTML output doesn't hurt, either.

Regards,

Marion