On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 21:00 +0000, Gavin Maltby wrote:
> On 02/21/08 16:31, Rich Teer wrote:
>
> > What is the current preferred method for backing up ZFS data pools,
> > preferably using free ($0.00) software, and assuming that access to
> > individual files (a la ufsbackup/ufsrestore) is required?
>
> For home use I am making very successful use of zfs incremental send
> and receive.  A script decides which filesystems to backup (based
> on a user property retrieved by zfs get) and snapshots the filesystem;
> it then looks for the last snapshot that the pool I'm backing
> up and the pool I'm backing up to have in common, and
> does a zfs send -i | zfs reveive over than.

We're using a perl script which uses zfs incremental send/recv, which
works pretty well for our purposes. However I hear [1] that these
commands will only run on an idle thread, so get enough cores in the
boxes at both ends to handle any processing demands whilst they are
running.

>   Backups are pretty
> quick since there is not huge amount of churn in the filesystems,
> and on my backup disks I have browsable access to snapshot of
> my data from every backup I have run.

I also leave the snapshots visible (zfs set snapdir=visible) on the
fileservers so that users can retrieve old versions of their files if
they need to.

HTH,

Chris

[1]