This is a common problem that we run into and perhaps there's a good
explanation of why it can't be done. Often, there will be a large set of data,
say 200GB or so that gets written to a ZFS share, snapshotted and then deleted
a few days later. As I'm sure you know, none of the space is returned to the
pool since the bits on disk are still being referenced by the snapshot. Is
there any way to delete a large set of data both from the disk and from any
snapshots that may reference this large data set?