On Wed, 28 May 2008, Mertol Ozyoney wrote:

> Think that you have a 146 GB SSD and the wirte cycle is around 100k
> And you can write/update data at 10 MB/sec (depends on the IO pattern could
> be a lot slower or a lot higher) It will take 4 Hours or 14,400 sec's to
> fully populate the drive. Multiply this with 100k , this is 45 Years. If the
> virtualisation algorithmws work at %25 efficiency this will be 10 years
> plus.
>
> Please correct me where I am wrong , as I am not quite knowledgeble on this
> subject

It seems that we are in agreement that expected lifetime depends on
the usage model.  Lifetime will be vastly longer if the drive is used
as a normal filesystem disk as compared to being using as a RAID write
cache device.  I have not heard of any RAID arrays which use FLASH for
their write cache.  They all use battery backed SRAM (or similar).

Bob