On 28 June, 2008 - Matt Harrison sent me these 0,6K bytes:

> Hi gurus,
>
> Just wanted some input on this for the day when an upgrade is necessary.
>
> Lets say I have simple pool made up of 3 750gb SATA disks in raidz1,
> giving around 1.3tb usable space. If we wanted to upgrade the disks,
> what is the accepted procedure? There are 6 SATA ports in the machine in
> question, so we can just add the 3 upraded disks, but what is the
> recommended procedure to re-create or migrate the pool to the new disks?

Currently, you can either replace the individual disks to upgrade 3x750
to 3x2TB or whatever disks you buy next.. that requires no extra ports..
Or you can just add a 3x2TB raidz1 along with the 3x750.. Unless you
want to rebuild it into a 6 disk raidz(1/2), there's not much need to
re-create the pool.. But that will require sufficient storage somewhere
else during the time..

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.acc.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå