Hi,

I am looking for some best practice advice on a project that i am working on.

We are looking at migrating ~40TB backup data to ZFS, with an annual data
growth of
20-25%.

Now, my initial plan was to create one large pool comprised of X RAIDZ-2 vdevs
( 7 + 2 )
with one hotspare per 10 drives and just continue to expand that pool as needed.

Between calculating the MTTDL and performance models i was hit by a rather
scary thought.

A pool comprised of X vdevs is no more resilient to data loss than the weakest
vdev since loss
of a vdev would render the entire pool unusable.

This means that i potentially could loose 40TB+ of data if three disks within
the same RAIDZ-2
vdev should die before the resilvering of at least one disk is complete. Since
most disks
will be filled i do expect rather long resilvering times.

We are using 750 GB Seagate (Enterprise Grade) SATA disks for this project with
as much hardware
redundancy as we can get ( multiple controllers, dual cabeling, I/O
multipathing, redundant PSUs,
etc.)

I could use multiple pools but that would make data management harder which in
it self is a lengthy
process in our shop.

The MTTDL figures seem OK so how much should i need to worry ? Anyone having
experience from
this kind of setup ?

/Don E.