Ross Smith wrote:
> Thanks Richard, filebench sounds ideal for testing the abilities of
> the server, far better than I expected to find actually.
>
> NFSstat might be tricky however, since the clients are going to be
> running XP :).  I've got a very basic free benchmark that I'll use to
> check that virtual disk performance over NFS is acceptible on the
> client, and then I'll use the performance figures on VMware and the
> fileserver to see how the clients are doing once I've a few running.
>
> On the ZFS fileserver, is iostat all I need to get a quick snapshot of
> the load on the system?  Is there anything on Solaris like Microsoft's
> performance monitor, where I can log figures over a period of time, or
> bring up a chart of performance over time?  What I'd really like to
> know is the average load in terms of iops and bandwidth, plus the peak
> figures for each statistic too.

There is a performance monitor, actually man different ways to look at
performance.  In general, the best view is from the client.  The farther
you get from the client, the less you can see.  For example, using iostat
on the server is a common thing to do, but since the server caches
data from the disks and iostat only shows I/O  requests, it will be
difficult to correlate server disk I/O to client performance over time.
There is a wealth of information on Solaris performance analysis and
tuning knowledge available on the net.
 -- richard