Jorgen,

> If we get two x4500s, and look at AVS, would it be possible to:
>
> 1) Setup AVS to replicate zfs, and zvol (ufs) from 01 -> 02 ?
> Supported
> by Sol 10 5/08 ?

For Solaris 10, one will need to purchase AVS. It was not until
OpenSolaris, that AVS became bundled. Also the OpenSolaris version
will not run on Solaris 10.

> Assuming 1, if we setup a home-made IP fail-over so that; should 01 go
> down, all clients are redirected to 02.
>

> 2) Fail-back, are there methods in AVS to handle fail-back?

Yes, its called SNDR reverse synchronization, and is key feature of
SNDR and its ability to create DR site.

> Since 02 has
> been used, it will have newer/modified files, and will need to
> replicate
> backwards until synchronised, before fail-back can occur.

SNDR supports on demand pull, which means that once reverse
synchronization has been started, the SNDR primary volumes can be
accessed. In addition to the background resilvering of difference,
those blocks requested "on demand", will be included in the reverse
synchronization.

> We did ask our vendor, but we were just told that AVS does not
> support  x4500.

AVS works with any Solaris blocks storage device, independent of
platform. Period.

> Lund
>
> --
> Jorgen Lundman       | <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)
> Shibuya-ku, Tokyo    | +81 (0)90-5578-8500          (cell)
> Japan                | +81 (0)3 -3375-1767          (home)

Jim Dunham
Engineering Manager
Storage Platform Software Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.