Joe,

> Brian Hechinger
>> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 10:47:04AM -0400, Moore, Joe wrote:
>>>
>>> I wonder if an AVS-replicated storage device on the
>> backends would be appropriate?
>>>
>>> write -> ZFS-mirrored slog -> ramdisk -AVS-> physical disk
>>>                   \
>>>                    +-iscsi-> ramdisk -AVS-> physical disk
>>>
>>> You'd get the continuous replication of the ramdisk to
>> physical drive (and perhaps automagic recovery on reboot) but
>> not pay the syncronous write to remote physical disk penalty
>>
>> It looks like the answer is no.
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] sudo sndradm -e localhost
>> /dev/rramdisk/avstest1 /dev/zvol/rdsk/SYS0/bitmap1
>> \wintermute /dev/zvol/dsk/SYS0/avstest2
>> /dev/zvol/rdsk/SYS0/bitmap2 ip async
>> Enable Remote Mirror? (Y/N) [N]: y
>> sndradm: Error: both localhost and wintermute are local
>
> I've not worked with AVS other than looking at the basic concepts,
> but to me this looks like a dont-shoot-yourself-in-the-foot critical
> warning rather than an actual functionality restriction.  Is there a
> -force option to override this normally quite reasonable sanity check?

This is a hard restriction, with no override.  AVS, or more
specifically the remote replication component call SNDR, needs to know
which end of the replica is the SNDR primary node and which end is the
SNDR secondary node. Since SNDR requires this functionality to know
which direction to replica data, a single Solaris node can not be both
the primary and secondary node.

If one wants this type of mirror functionality on a single node, use
host based or controller based mirroring software.

> --Joe

Jim Dunham

Storage Platform Software Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.