Gary,

>>   Sidenote: Today we made eight network/iSCSI related tweaks that, in
>>   aggregate, have resulted in dramatic performance improvements
>> (some I
>>   just hadn't gotten around to yet, others suggested by Sun's Mertol
>>   Ozyoney)...
>>   - disabling the Nagle algorithm on the head node
>>   - setting each iSCSI target block size to match the ZFS record
>> size of
>>   128K
>>   - disabling "thin provisioning" on the iSCSI targets
>>   - enabling jumbo frames everywhere (each switch and NIC)
>>   - raising ddi_msix_alloc_limit to 8
>>   - raising ip_soft_rings_cnt to 16
>>   - raising tcp_deferred_acks_max to 16
>>   - raising tcp_local_dacks_max to 16
>
> Can you tell us which of those changes made the most dramatic
> improvement?

>>   - disabling the Nagle algorithm on the head node

This will have a dramatic effective on most I/Os, except for large
sequential writes.

>> - setting each iSCSI target block size to match the ZFS record size
>> of 128K
>>  - enabling jumbo frames everywhere (each switch and NIC)

These will have a positive effect for large writes, both sequential
and random

>>   - disabling "thin provisioning" on the iSCSI targets

This only has a benefit for file-based or dsk based backing stores. If
one use rdsk backing stores of any type, this is not an issue.

Jim

> I have a similar situation here, with a 2-TB ZFS pool on
> a T2000 using Iscsi to a Netapp file server.  Is there any way to tell
> in advance if any of those changes will make a difference?  Many of
> them seem to be server resources.  How can I determine their current
> usage?
>
> --
> -Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and
> Networking-

Jim Dunham
Storage Platform Software Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.