On 12/10/08 12:15, Jesus Cea wrote:

Ian Collins wrote:
I have ZFS root/boot in my environment, and I am interested in
separating /var in a independent dataset. How can I do it. I can use
Live Upgrade, if needed.
It's an install option.

But I am not installing, but doing a Live Upgrade. The machine is in
production; I can not do a reinstall. I can mess with configuration
files an create datasets and such by hand.
OK, here's some mail I sent to someone last week in response to
a similar question:

The separate /var directory is supported as an option
of an initial install, but right now, there's no way to
get it automatically as a result of a migration from
a ufs BE to a zfs BE.  However, you can still make it
happen:

You might possibly want to boot from the failsafe
archive while doing this, but doing it while booted
from the BE I was modifying just worked for me:

Assuming that your BE name is myBE, you should
be able to do the following:

# zfs create -o canmount=noauto pool/ROOT/myBE/var
# zfs set mountpoint=/mnt pool/ROOT/myBE/var
# zfs mount pool/ROOT/myBE/var # this assumes you have an empty directory /mnt
# cd /var
# find . |  cpio -pmud /mnt
# zfs unmount pool/ROOT/myBE/var
# zfs inherit mountpoint pool/ROOT/myBE/var

Now reboot.

If that all works, you might want to then boot off the
failsafe archive, mount pool/ROOT/myBE to a
temporary mount point, and then delete the old
/var directory under that mount point (just to get
rid of the old one so that it doesn't cause confusion
later).

The instructions above are intended for use when booted
from the BE you're trying to modify, but you could also
do something similar after you've created a new BE,
but before you boot from it.

LiveUpgrade should probably support doing something
like this, but then, LiveUpgrade should probably support a lot
of things.

Lori

- --
The correct sig. delimiter is "-- "

I know. The issue is PGP/GNUPG/Enigmail integration.

- --
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/
jabber / xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]         _/_/    _/_/          _/_/_/_/_/