On 01/06/09 21:25, Nicholas Lee wrote:
> Since zfs is so smart is other areas is there a particular reason why a
> high water mark is not calculated and the available space not reset to this?
>
> I'd far rather have a zpool of 1000GB that said it only had 900GB but
> did not have corruption as it ran out of space.
>
> Nicholas

Is there any evidence of corruption at high capacity or just
a lack of performance? All file systems will slow down when
near capacity, as they struggle to find space and then have to
spread writes over the disk. Our priorities are integrity first,
followed somewhere by performance.

I vaguely remember a time when UFS had limits to prevent
ordinary users from consuming past a certain limit, allowing
only the super-user to use it. Not that I'm advocating that
approach for ZFS.

Neil.