Nicolas Williams wrote:
> It'd be awesome to have a native directory->dataset conversion feature
> in ZFS.  And, relatedly, fast moves of files across datasets
> in the same
> volume.  These two RFEs have been discussed to death in the list; see
> the archives.

This would be a nice feature to have.  The most compelling technical problem
I've seen in the idea of "reparenting" a directory to be a top-level dataset is
that when a zfs filesystem is used, open files on that filesystem have a
particular devid.  In order to split off the directory onto a new zfs
filesystem, you'd have to atomically change the devid inside all the processes
that have open files under that directory.  Finding those open files is
practically impossible.

--Joe