Ahmed,

> The setup is not there anymore, however, I will share as much details
> as I have documented. Could you please post the commands you have used
> and any differences you think might be important. Did you ever test
> with 2008.11 ? instead of sxce ?

Specific to the following:

>>> While we should be getting minimal performance hit (hopefully), we
>>> got
>>> a big performance hit, disk throughput was reduced to almost 10% of
>>> the normal rate.

It looks like I need to test on OpenSoalris 2008.11, not Solaris
Express CE (b105), since this version does not have access to a
version of 'dd' with a  oflag=<option> setting.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/zvol/rdsk/gold/xxVolNamexx oflag=dsync
bs=256M count=10
dd: bad argument: "oflag=dsync"

Using a setting of 'oflag=dsync' will have performance implications.

Also there is an issue with an I/O of size bs=256M. SNDR's internal
architecture has a I/O unit chunk size of one bit in 32KB". Therefore
when doing an I/O of 256MB, this results in the need to set 8192 bits,
1024 bytes, or 1KB of data with 0xFF.  Although testing with an /O
size of 256MB is interesting, typical I/O tests are more like the
following:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/performance/filebench/quick_start/

- Jim