I'm moving some data off an old machine to something reasonably new.
Normally, the new machine performs better, but I have one case just now
where the new system is terribly slow.

Old machine - V880 (Solaris 8) with SVM raid-5:

# ptime du -kds foo
15043722        foo

real        6.955
user        0.964
sys         5.492

And now the new machine - T5140 (latest Solaris 10) with ZFS striped
atop a bunch of 2530 arrays:

# ptime du -kds foo
15343120        foo

real     2:55.210
user        2.559
sys      2:05.788

It's not just du; a find on that directory is similarly bad.

I have other filesystems of similar size and number of files (there are only
about 200K files) that perform well, so there must be something about this
filesystem that is throwing zfs into a spin.

Anybody else seen anything like this?

I'm suspicious of ACL handling. So for a quick test I took one directory with
approx 5000 files in it and timed du (I'm running all this as root, btw):

1. Just the files, no ACLs.

real        0.238
user        0.050
sys         0.187

2. Files with ACLs:

real        0.467
user        0.055
sys         0.411

3.  Files with ACLs, and an ACL on the directory

real        0.610
user        0.058
sys         0.551

I don't know whether that explains all the problem, but it's clear
that having ACLs
on files and directories has a definite cost.

--
-Peter Tribble