Having a separate intent log on good hardware will not prevent corruption
on a pool with bad hardware. By "good" I mean hardware that correctly
flush their write caches when requested.

Note, a pool is always consistent (again when using good hardware).
The function of the intent log is not to provide consistency (like a journal),
but to speed up synchronous requests like fsync and O_DSYNC.

Neil.