On Mar 4, 2009, at 7:04 AM, Jacob Ritorto wrote:
Caution:  I built a system like this and spent several weeks trying to
get iscsi share working under Solaris 10 u6 and older.  It would work
fine for the first few hours but then performance would start to
degrade, eventually becoming so poor as to actually cause panics on
the iscsi initiator boxes.  Couldn't find resolution through the
various Solaris knowledge bases.  Closest I got was to find out that
there's a problem only in the *Solaris 10* iscsi target code that
incorrectly frobs some counter when it shouldn't, violating the iscsi
target specifications.  The problem is fixed in Nevada/OpenSolaris.

Long story short, I tried OpenSolaris 2008.11 and the iscsi crashes
ceased and things ran smoothly.  Not the solution I was hoping for,
since this was to eventually be a prod box, but then Sun announced
that I could purchase OpenSolaris support, so I was covered.  On OS,
my two big filers have been running really nicely for months and
months now.

Don't try to use Solaris 10 as a filer OS unless you can identify and
resolve the iscsi target issue.

The iSCSI Target Daemon in OpenSolaris 2008.xx, has been back ported to Solaris 10 u7.

- Jim