Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2009, Troy Nancarrow (MEL) wrote:

Please forgive me if my searching-fu has failed me in this case, but
I've been unable to find any information on how people are going about
monitoring and alerting regarding memory usage on Solaris hosts using
ZFS.

The problem is not that the ZFS ARC is using up the memory, but that the
script Nagios is using to check memory usage simply sees, say 96% RAM
used, and alerts.

Memory is meant to be used. 96% RAM use is good since it represents an effective use of your investment.

Actually, I think a percentage of RAM is a bogus metric to measure.
For example, on a 2TBytes system, you would be wasting 80 GBytes.
Perhaps you should look for a more meaningful threshold.
-- richard