I'm running OpenSolaris 2009.06, and when I attempt to restore a ZFS snapshot,
the machine hangs in an odd fashion.

I create a backup of fs1 (roughly 15GB):
zfs send -R tank/f...@1 | gzip > /backups/test_1.gz

I create a new zpool to accept the backup:
zpool create testdev1 testpool

Then I attempt to restore the backup to the new pool:
gzcat /backups/test_1.gz | zfs recv -d testpool

Somewhere around the 6GB mark, the xterm hangs and the whole console hangs.  If
I try to SSH in, I get a user prompt and a password prompt, then it hangs upon
password entry.  Machine is still responsive to ping, but none of the CIFS
shares are accessible when in this state.  Power-cycle resolves it, and upon
logging in, the backup was obviously not restored.

What on earth is going on?