i've seen a problem where periodically a 'zfs mount -a' and sometimes a 'zpool import <pool>' can create what appears to be a race condition on nested mounts .. that is .. let's say that i have:

FS                              mountpoint
pool                    /export
pool/fs1                        /export/home
pool/fs2                        /export/home/bob
pool/fs3                        /export/home/bob/stuff

if "pool" is imported (or a mount -a is done) and somehow pool/fs3 mounts first - then it will create /export/home and /export/home/bob and pool/fs1 and pool/fs2 will fail to mount .. this seems to be happening on more recent builds, but not predictably - so i'm still trying to track down what's going on