Adam Cheal wrote:
James: We are running Phase 16 on our LSISAS3801E's, and have also tried
the recently released Phase 17 but it didn't help. All firmware NVRAM
settings are default. Basically, when we put the disks behind this
controller under load (e.g. scrubbing, recursive ls on large ZFS
filesystem) we get this series of log entries that appear at random
intervals:
It seems to be timing out accessing a disk, retrying, giving up and then
doing a bus reset?

This is happening with random disks behind the controller and on multiple
systems with the same hardware config. We are running snv_118 right now
and was hoping this was some magic mpt-related "bug" that was going to be
fixed in snv_125 but it doesn't look like it. The LSI3801E is driving 2 x
23-disk JBOD's which, albeit a dense solution, it should be able to
handle. We are also using wide raidz2 vdevs (22 disks each, one per JBOD)
which agreeably is slower performance-wise, but the goal here is density
not performance. I would have hoped that the system would just "slow
down" if there was IO contention, but not experience things like bus
resets.

Your thoughts?

ugh. New bug time - bugs.opensolaris.org, please select
Solaris / kernel / driver-mpt. In addition to the error
messages and description of when you see it, please provide
output from

cfgadm -lav
prtconf -v

I'll see that it gets moved to the correct group asap.

Cheers,
James
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems