On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, Tim Cook wrote:

I'm well aware of the fact that SSD mfg's put extra blocks into the device to increase both performance and MTBF.  I'm not sure how that invalidates what I've said though, or even plays a roll, and you haven't done a very good job of explaining why you think I'm wrong.  TRIM is simply letting the device know that a block has been deleted from the OS perspective.  In a caching scenario, you aren't deleting anything, you're continually over-writing.  How exactly do you foresee TRIM being useful when the command wouldn't even be invoked?

The act of over-writing requires erasing. If the cache is going to expire seldom-used data, it could potentially use TRIM to start erasing pages while the new data is being retrieved from primary storage.

Regardless, it seems that smarter FLASH storage device design eliminates most of the value offered by TRIM.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn