On Nov 13, 2009, at 10:36 PM, Tristan Ball wrote:

I think the exception may be when doing a recursive snapshot - ZFS appears to halt IO so that it can take all the snapshots at the same instant.

Snapshots cause a txg commit, similar to what you get when you run sync.
The time required to commit depends on many factors, perhaps the largest
of which is the latency of the disk.

At least, that's what it looked like to me. I've got an Opensolaris ZFS box providing NFS to VMWare, and I was getting SCSI timeout's within the Virtual Machines that appeared to happen exactly as the snapshots were taken.

SCSI timeouts?!? How short are their timeouts? By default in Solaris, SCSI
timeouts are 60 seconds.  Have you seen a recursive snapshot take more
than 60 seconds?

When I turned off the recursive snapshots, and rather had each FS snapshot individually, the problem went away.

There have been performance tweeks over the past few years which can
impact snapshot performance, though it is still largely gated by the disk.
What release were you running?
 -- richard

Regards,
        Tristan.