On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 09:36:23AM -0800, Per Baatrup wrote:

> The reason I was speaking about "cat" in stead of "cp" is that in
> addition to copying a single file I would like also to concatenate
> several files into a single file. Can this be accomplished with your
> "(z)cp"?

Unless you have special data formats, I think it's unlikely that the
last ZFS block in the file will be exactly full.  But to append without
copying, you'd need some way of ignoring a portion of the data in a
non-final ZFS block and stitching together the bytestream.  I don't
think that's possible with the ZFS layout.

--
Darren