On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 12:44:16PM -0800, Per Baatrup wrote:
> >any of f1..f5's last blocks are partial
> Does this mean that f1,f2,f3,f4 needs to be exact multiplum of the ZFS
> blocksize? This is a severe restriction that will fail unless in very
> special cases.  Is this related to the disk format or is it
> restriction in the implrmentation? (do you know where to look in the
> source code?).

I'm sure it's related to the FS structure.  How do you find a particular
point in a file quickly?  You don't read up to that point, you want to
go to it directly.  To do so, you have to know how the file is indexed.
If every block contains the same amount of data, this is a simple math
equation.  If some blocks have more or less data, then you have to keep
track of them and their size.  I doubt ZFS has any space or ability to
include non-full blocks in the middle of a file.

--
Darren