On Sat, 5 Dec 2009, Seth Heeren wrote:

in the same way, I guess, when running an OS on a SSD boot disk,
should we still need the same memory swapping mechanisms as we do
today, considering that in that case, the swap device is (nearly) as
fast as memory itself.
Is it? I think that when you look up the numbers (for server-grade
hardware) you could find an order of magnitude difference. Now there are

The difference is pretty huge.  Consider 6GB+/second vs 140MB/second.

The interesting thing for the future will be non-volatile main memory, with the primary concern being how to firewall damage due to a bug. You would be able to turn your computer off and back on and be working again almost instantaneously.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn