On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Jeffry Molanus
<jeffry.mola...@proact.nl> wrote:

>> Sometimes people get confused about the ZIL and separate logs. For
>> sizing purposes,
>> the ZIL is a write-only workload.  Data which is written to the ZIL is
>> later asynchronously
>> written to the pool when the txg is committed.
>
> Right; the tgx needs time to transfer the ZIL.
>

>> The ZFS write performance for this configuration should consistently
>> be greater than 80 IOPS.  We've seen measurements in the 600 write
>> IOPS range.  Why?  Because ZFS writes tend to be contiguous. Also,
>> with the SATA disk write cache enabled, bursts of writes are handled
>> quite nicely.
>>  -- richard
>
> Is there a method to determine this value before pool configuration ? Some
> sort of rule of thumb? It would be sad when you configure the pool and have
> to reconfigure later one because you discover the pool can't handle the tgx
> commits from SSD to disk fast enough. In other words; with Y as expected load
> you would require a minimal of X mirror devs or X raid-z vdevs in order to
> have a  pool with enough bandwith/IO to flush the ZIL without stalling the
> system.

All I can tell you (echoed elsewhere in this thread) that a beautiful
ZIL will have two main characteristics: 1) IOPS  -  it must be an IOPS
"monster" and 2) low latency.   On my workloads, adding a ZIL based on
a nice fast 15k RPM SAS disk to a pool of nice 7k2 SATA drives did'nt
provide the kick-in-the-ascii improvement I was looking for.  In fact,
the improvement was almost impossible for a typical user to be aware
of.  Why?  a) not enough IOPS and b) high latency.

Your starting point, at a bare *minimum*, should be an x25-m SSD drive
[1] and only going *up* from this base point.  YMMV of course - this
is based on my personal experience on a relatively small ZFS system.

[1] According to Intel, the x25m should last 5 years if you write 20Gb
to it every day.  Of course they don't provide a 5 year warranty -
only a 3 year one.  Draw your own conclusions.

--
Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc,Plano,TX a...@logical-approach.com
                   Voice: 972.379.2133 Timezone: US CDT