On  2/02/10 05:17 PM, matthew patton wrote:

charge a premium for their products but they ARE a
enterprise vendor.  You
wouldn't say something like "hey, where can i buy a Ferrari
without any
wheels...i'm not paying x amount for a silly aluminum
wheel"

true. but I buy a Ferrari for the engine and bodywork and chassis
> engineering. It is totally criminal what Sun/EMC/Dell/Netapp do
> charging customers 10x the open-market rate for standard drives.
> A RE3/4 or NS drive is the same damn thing no matter if I buy it from
> ebay or my local distributor. Dell/Sun/Netapp buy drives by the
> container load. Oh sure, I don't mind paying an extra couple pennies/GB for
> all the strenuous efforts the vendors spend on firmware verification (HA!).

I will happily pay a couple grand for the chassis, backplane,
> power supplies, and original engineering. Like my g'papy
> used to say; don't p*ss down my back and tell me it's raining.

Your belief about the amount of time, money and general effort
that goes into qualifying disk drives by storage vendors is
at odds with reality.

The engineering ratings are different to what you can buy from
your local corner PC store, and the firmware is different. The
qualification is done with the assumption that the disks will be
spinning every single second for a number of years, and that
they will have a much, *much* higher duty cycle than consumer
grade hardware.

Please stop assuming that all this only costs a few pennies.
It doesn't.

James C. McPherson
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems