On Fri, February 19, 2010 16:21, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 01:15:17PM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, February 19, 2010 13:09, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>
>> > Anybody know what the proper geometry is for a WD1600BEKT-6-1A13?
>> It's
>> > not even in the data sheets any more!
>
> any such geometry has been entirely fictitious since ZBR disks emerged
> in, oh, about 1990.

Sure, but there still have to be values put into format to satisfy it!

Had to look up "ZBR", but indeed I guessed correctly that it was the
transition to variable numbers of sector per track (to give much more
uniform linear size to each sector) that you were referring to.  Yep,
totally and utterly fictitious.

>> One further point -- I can't seem to enter the geometry the second disk
>> has manually for the first; when I enter 152615 for number of sectors,
>> it
>> says this is out of range.
>
> It's probably reading some garbage as a label.  dd 0's over the start
> of it and try again, perhaps with a hotplug or reboot in between if
> necessary.

The details of interaction between what's already written there, and what
can be written there by the tools, are driving me quite insane (as Cindy
said the other day!).

I found some of my earlier tests weren't valid since I apparently omitted
writing out the labels in a couple of key cases.  Now I've got two
slightly different geometries going again, but they're working in the
mirror (the old disks in the mirror are much smaller, so anything that
works and gives access to over 50% of the new disk will attach to the
mirror; but I want to get it "right" before detaching the old disks) .

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info