On 19 feb 2010, at 23.40, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:17:29PM +0100, Felix Buenemann wrote:
>
>> I found the Hyperdrive 5/5M, which is a half-height drive bay sata
>> ramdisk with battery backup and auto-backup to compact flash at power
>> failure.
>> Promises 65,000 IOPS and thus should be great for ZIL. It's pretty
>> reasonable priced (~230 EUR) and stacked with 4GB or 8GB DDR2-ECC should
>> be more than sufficient.
>
> Wouldn't it be better investing these 300-350 EUR into 16 GByte or more of
> system memory, and a cheap UPS?

System memory can't replace a slog, since a slog is supposed to be
non-volatile.

An UPS plus disabling zil, or disabling synchronization, could possibly
achieve the same result (or maybe better) iops wise.
This would probably work given that your computer never crashes
in an uncontrolled manner. If it does, some data may be lost
(and possibly the entire pool lost, if you are unlucky).

/ragge