> > Just to make sure you know ... if you disable the ZIL altogether, and
> you
> > have a power interruption, failed cpu, or kernel halt, then you're
> likely to
> > have a corrupt unusable zpool, or at least data corruption.  If that
> is
> > indeed acceptable to you, go nuts.  ;-)
>
> I believe that the above is wrong information as long as the devices
> involved do flush their caches when requested to.  Zfs still writes
> data in order (at the TXG level) and advances to the next transaction
> group when the devices written to affirm that they have flushed their
> cache.  Without the ZIL, data claimed to be synchronously written
> since the previous transaction group may be entirely lost.
>
> If the devices don't flush their caches appropriately, the ZIL is
> irrelevant to pool corruption.

I stand corrected.  You don't lose your pool.  You don't have corrupted
filesystem.  But you lose whatever writes were not yet completed, so if
those writes happen to be things like database transactions, you could have
corrupted databases or files, or missing files if you were creating them at
the time, and stuff like that.  AKA, data corruption.

But not pool corruption, and not filesystem corruption.