Nobody snipped attributions, and even if they did, get over it.  It's not
always needed for any reason.

>  > On 04/26/10 01:45 AM, Robert Milkowski wrote:
> >> The system should boot-up properly even if some pools are not
> >> accessible
> >> (except rpool of course).
> >> If it is not the case then there is a bug - last time I checked it
> >> worked perfectly fine.
> >>
> > This may be different in the latest opensolaris, but in the latest
> solaris,
> > this is what I know:
> >
> > If a pool fails, and forces an ungraceful shutdown, then during the
> next
> > bootup, the pool is treated as "currently in use by another system."
> The OS
> > doesn't come up all the way; you have to power cycle again, and go
> into
> > failsafe mode.  Then you can "zpool import" I think requiring the -f
> or -F,
> > and reboot again normal.
> >

> I think you are describing what happens if the root pool has problems.
> Other pools are just shown as unavailable.
>
> The system will come up, but failure to mount any filesystems in the
> absent pool will cause the filesystem/local service to be in
> maintenance
> state.

No.

I don't know how to resolve this - I also have Solaris 10/09, and it's
somewhat a regular occurrence for the system to halt and refuse to come up,
because something went wrong with the external nonredundant zpool.  Namely
... the power got accidentally knocked off the external device.  Or the
device enclosure failed.  Or something like that.

So I have to do as I said, power cycle, go into failsafe mode, do a "zpool
import" and I'll see the external pool "is in use by system blahblahblah"
And then I "zpool import" it, with the -f or -F, and init 6.  And then the
system comes up clean.

I don't know why my experience is different from Robert's.