> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Travis Tabbal
>
> I have a few old drives here that I thought might help me a little,
> though not at much as a nice SSD, for those uses. I'd like to speed up
> NFS writes, and there have been some mentions that even a decent HDD
> can do this, though not to the same level a good SSD will.

If your clients are mounting "async" don't bother.  If the clients are
mounting async, then all the writes are done asynchronously, fully
accelerated, and never any data written to ZIL log.

If you'd like to measure whether or not you have anything to gain ...

Temporarily disable the ZIL on the server.  (And remount your filesystem.)
If performance doesn't improve, then you can't gain anything by using a
dedicated ZIL device.

If performance does improve ... then you could expect to gain about half of
the difference, by using a really good SSD.  Rough numbers.  Very rough.

It's not advisable, in most cases, to leave the ZIL disabled.  It's valuable
after an ungraceful shutdown.  So I'd advise only disabling the ZIL while
you're testing for performance.