On 05/ 7/10 10:07 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
On 05/07/2010 11:08 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
I'm going to continue encouraging you to staying "mainstream," because what
people do the most is usually what's supported the best.

If I may be the contrarian, I hope Matt keeps experimenting with this, files bugs, and they get fixed. His use case is very compelling - I know lots of SOHO folks who could really use a NAS where this 'just worked'

The ZFS team has done well by thinking liberally about conventional assumptions.

-Bill

My plan indeed is to continue with this setup (going to upgrade to 138 to resolve my reboot issue). This particular use case for me is definitely compelling, the simply fact that I can plug my USB drive into another laptop and boot into the exact same environment is reason enough for me to continue with this setup and see how things go.

Mind you doing occasional zfs send's to another backup drive might be something I'll do aswell :-)

cheers

Matt