Hello,
I have a situation where a zfs file server holding lots of graphic files cannot
be backed up daily with a full backup.
My idea was initially to run a full backup on Sunday through the lto library on
more dedicated tapes, then have an incremental backup run on daily tapes.
Brainstorming on this, led me to the idea that I could actually stop thinking
about incremental backups (that may always lead me to unsafe backups anyway for
some unlucky reason) and substitute the idea with daily snapshots.
Actually, the full disaster ricovery is on the Sunday full backups (that can be
safely taken away on Monday), while the daily solution would be just a safe
place for daily errors by users (people who delete files by mistake, for
example).
This can be done simply running a snapshot per day during the night.
My idea is to have cron to rotate snapshots during working days, so that I
always have Mon,Tue,Wen,Thu,Fri,Sat snapshots, and have the cron shell delete
the oldest (actually, if I have to run a Mon snapshot, I will delete the old
Mon snapshots, this should run the cycle).
My questions are:
- is this a good and common solution?
- is there any zfs performance degradation caused by creating and deleting
snapshots on a daily basis, maybe fragmenting the file system?

Thanx for any suggestion
Gabriele.