On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 8:09 AM, David Magda <dma...@ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:
> You could always split things up into groups of (say) 50. A few jobs ago,
> I was in an environment where we have a /home/students1/ and
> /home/students2/, along with a separate faculty/ (using Solaris and UFS).
> This had more to do with IOps than anything else.

A decade or so ago when I managed similar environments and had (I
think) 6 file systems handling about 5000 students.  Each file system
had about 1/6 of the students.  Challenges I found in this were:

- Students needed to work on projects together.  The typical way to do
this was for them to request a group, then create a group writable
directory in one of their home directories.  If all students in the
group had home directories on the same file system, there was nothing
special to consider.  If they were on different file systems then at
least one would need to have a non-zero quota (that is, not 0 blocks
soft, 1 block hard) quota on the file system where the group directory
resides.
- Despite your best efforts things will get imbalanced.  If you are
tight on space, this means that you will need to migrate users.  This
will become apparent only at the times of the semester where even
per-user outages are most inconvenient (i.e. at 6 and 13 weeks when
big projects tend to be due).

Its probably a good idea to consider these types of situations in the
transition plan, or at least determine they don't apply.  I was
working in a college of engineering where group projects were common
and CAD, EDA, and simulation tools could generate big files very
quickly.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/