On Nov 11, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Xin LI wrote:

> On 11/11/10 17:57, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>>
>> I will be setting up a NexentaStor Community Edition based ZFS file
>> server.  I will be serving some zvols over iSCSI to some FreeBSD
>> machines to host jails in.
>>
>> 1) The ZFS box offers a single iSCSI target that  exposes all the
>> zvols as individual disks.  When the FreeBSD initiator finds it, it
>> creates a separate disk for each zvol.  I assume if I have multiple
>> FreeBSD machines connecting to this iSCSI target, as long as no
>> individual zvol is mounted on more than 1 FreeBSD machine, the fact
>> that a disk "exists" for each zvol on each FreeBSD machine is
>> irrelevant and won't cause problems
>
> This is correct.

A follow-on question.

If the zvol (virtual disks) are mounted READ ONLY, is it possible to mount it
on multiple FreeBSD systems at the same time and access it for reading only
from all the systems?  (With only one system having it R/W and that only being
used occasionally when the new software needs to be installed for the jails)?
What I want to do does not rely on this but could make things easier for me...