On 28/02/11 07:30 AM, Dave Pooser wrote:
On 2/27/11 11:18 AM, "Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk"<r...@karlsbakk.net>  wrote:

I cannot but agree. On Linux and Windoze (haven't tested FreeBSD), drives
connected to an LSI9211 show up in the correct order, but not on
OI/osol/S11ex (IIRC), and fmtopo doesn't always show a mapping between
device name and slot, since that relies on the SES hardware being
properly supported. The answer I've got for this issue is, it's not an
issue, since it's that way by design etc. This doesn't make sense when
Linux/Windows show the drives in the correct order. IMHO this looks more
like a design flaw in the driver code

Especially since the SAS3081 cards work as expected. I guess I'll start
looking for some more of the 3Gb SAS controllers and chalk the 9211s up as
a failed bit.

LSISAS3081 cards use a different driver, mpt(7d), which still also
supports parallel SCSI and has different firmware to what you have
in your 9211 card. The 9211 card is also 2nd generation SAS, not 1st
generation like the 3081.

Personally, having worked on the mpt_sas(7d) project, I'm disappointed
that you believe the card and its driver are "a failed bit".

James C. McPherson
--
Oracle
http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog