On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Ram kumar <ram.kum...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Cindy,
>
> Thanks for the email.
>
> We are using Solaris 10 with out Live Upgrade.
>
> Tested following in the sandbox environment:
>
> 1)      We have one non-global zone (TestZone)  which is running on Test
> zpool (SAN)
>
> 2)      Don’t see zpool or non-global zone after re-image of Global zone.
>
> 3)      Imported zpool Test
>
> Now I am trying to create Non-global zone and it is giving error
>
> bash-3.00# zonecfg -z Test
> Test: No such zone configured
> Use 'create' to begin configuring a new zone.
> zonecfg:Test> create -a /zones/Test
> invalid path to detached zone

If you use create -a, it requires that SUNWdetached.xml exist as a
means for configuring the various properties (e.g. zonepath, brand,
etc.) and resources (inherit-pkg-dir, net, fs, device, etc.) for the
zone.  Since you don't have the SUNWdetached.xml, you can't use it.

Assuming you have a backup of the system, you could restore a copy of
/etc/zones/<zonename.xml> to /etc/zones/restored-<zonename>.xml, then
run:

zonecfg -z <zonename> create -t restored-<zonename>

If that's not an option or is just too inconvenient, use zonecfg to
configure the zone just like you did initially.  That is, do not use
"create -a", use "create", "create -b", or "create -t
<whateverTemplateYouUsed>" followed by whatever property settings and
added resources are appropriate.

After you get past zonecfg, you should be able to:

zoneadm -z <zonename> attach

If the package and patch levels don't match up (the global zone
perhaps was installed from a newer update or has newer patches):

zoneadm -z <zonename> attach -U
or
zoneadm -z <zonename> attach -u

Since you seem to be doing this in a test environment to prepare for
bad things to happen, I'd suggest that you make it a standard practice
when you are done configuring a zone to do:

zonecfg -z <zonename> export >  <zonepath>/zonecfg.export

Then if you need to recover the zone using only the things that are on
the SAN, you can do:

zpool import ...
zonecfg -z <zonename> -f <zonepath>/zonecfg.export
zoneadm -z <zonename> attach [-u|-U]

Any follow-ups should probably go to Oracle Support or zones-discuss.
Your problems are not related to zfs.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/