On 01/16/12 11:08, David Magda wrote:

The conclusions are hardly unreasonable:

While the reliability mechanisms in ZFS are able to provide reasonable
robustness against disk corruptions, memory corruptions still remain a
serious problem to data integrity.

I've heard the same thing said ("use ECC!") on this list many times over
the years.

I believe the whole paragraph quoted from the USENIX paper above is
important:

  While the reliability mechanisms in ZFS are able to
  provide reasonable robustness against disk corruptions,
  memory corruptions still remain a serious problem to
  data integrity. Our results for memory corruptions in-
  dicate cases where bad data is returned to the user, oper-
  ations silently fail, and the whole system crashes. Our
  probability analysis shows that one single bit flip has
  small but non-negligible chances to cause failures such
  as reading/writing corrupt data and system crashing.

The authors provide probability calculations in section 6.3
for single bit flips.  ECC provides detection and correction
of single bit flips.