On Apr 11, 2012, at 1:34 AM, Ian Collins wrote:

> I use an application with a fairly large receive data buffer (256MB) to
> replicate data between sites.
>
> I have noticed the buffer becoming completely full when receiving snapshots
> for some filesystems, even over a slow (~2MB/sec) WAN connection.  I assume
> this is due to the changes being widely scattered.

Widely scattered on the sending side, receiving side should be mostly
contiguous...
unless you are mostly full or there is some other cause of slow writes. The
usual disk-oriented
performance analysis will show if this is the case. Most likely, something else
is going on here.

> Is there any way to improve this situation?

Surely there must be...
 -- richard

--
ZFS Performance and Training