2012-05-23 20:54, Richard Elling wrote:
comments far below...

Thank you Richard for taking notice of this thread and the
definitive answers I needed not quote below, for further
questions ;)

2) How did you "treat errors as expected" during scrub?
As I've discovered, there were hoops to jump through.
Is there a switch to disable "degrading" of pools and
TLVDEVs based on only the CKSUM counts?

DEGRADED is the status. You clear degraded states by fixing the problem
and running zpool clear. DEGRADED, in and of itself, is not a problem.

Doesn't this status preclude the device with many CKSUM errors
from participating in the pool (TLVDEV) and the remainder of
the scrub in particular?

At least the textual error message infers that if a hotspare
were available for the pool, it would kick in and invalidate
the device I am scrubbing to update into the pool after the
DD-phase (well, it was not DD but a hung-up resilver in this
case, but that is not substantial).

Such automatic replacement is definitely not what I needed
in this particular case, so if it were to happen - it would
be a problem indeed, in and of itself.

> dd, or simular dumb block copiers, should work fine.
> However, they are inefficient...

Define efficient? In terms of transferring the 900Gb payload
of a 1Tb HDD used for ZFS for a year - DD would beat resilver
anytime, in terms of getting most or (less likely) all of the
valid bits with data onto the new device. It is the next phase
(getting the rest of the bits into valid state) that needs
some attention, manual or automated.

Again, DD is not a good usecase indeed for pools with little
data on big disks, and while I see why these could be used
(i.e. to never face fragmentation), I haven't seen them in
practice around here.

>... and operationally difficult to manage

Actually, that's why I asked whether it makes sense to
automate such a scenario as another legal variant of disk
replacement, complete with fast data transfer and verification
and simultaneous work of the new and old devices until the
data migration is marked complete. In particular that would
take care of accepting the scrub errors as an expected part
of the disk replacement and not a fatal fault/degradation,
and/or allowing new writes to propagate onto the new disk
while the replacement is going on and minimize discrepancies
right on the run.

In visible effect this would be similar to current resilver
during replacement of a live disk with a hotspare, but the
prcess would follow a different scenario I suggested earlier
in the thread.

My raw hoop-jumping script:
I would never allow such scripts in my site. It is important to track the
progress and state changes. This script resets those counters for no
good reason.

I post this comment in the hope that future searches will not encourage
people to try such things.

Understood, point taken, I won't try to promote such a "solution",
and I agree that certainly it is not a good general idea indeed.
It should be noted however (or I want to be corrected, please,
if I am wrong), that:

1) Errors are expected on this run since the DD'ed copy is expected
   to deviate from current pool state; if the "degradation" mark of
   new disk would force it to be kicked out of the pool just because
   there are many CKSUM errors - which we know should be there due
   to manual DD-phase - then the reason is good IMHO (in this one
   case);

2) The progress is tracked by logging the error counts into a text
   file. If the admin fired up the script (manually in his terminal
   or a vnc/screen session), he can also look into the log file or
   even tail it.

3) The individual CKSUM errors are summed up in fmstat output, and
   this script does not zero them out, so even system-side tracking
   is not disturbed here.

Anyhow, if there is a device with just a few CKSUM errors, then the
next scrub clears its error counts anyway (if no new problems are
found)....

Thanks,
//Jim Klimov