On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, Jim Klimov wrote:

 For several times now I've seen statements on this list implying
that a dedicated ZIL/SLOG device catching sync writes for the log,
also allows for more streamlined writes to the pool during normal
healthy TXG syncs, than is the case with the default ZIL located
within the pool.

After reading what some others have posted, I should remind that zfs always has a ZIL (unless it is specifically disabled for testing). If it does not have a dedicated ZIL, then it uses the disks in the main pool to construct the ZIL. Dedicating a device to the ZIL should not improve the pool storage layout because the pool already had a ZIL.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn