On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:35 AM, Dan Swartzendruber <dswa...@druber.com> wrote:

> This whole thread has been fascinating.  I really wish we (OI) had the two
> following things that freebsd supports:
>
> 1. HAST - provides a block-level driver that mirrors a local disk to a
> network "disk" presenting the result as a block device using the GEOM API.

This is called AVS in the Solaris world.

In general, these systems suffer from a fatal design flaw: the authoritative
view of the
data is not also responsible for the replication. In other words, you can
provide coherency
but not consistency. Both are required to provide a single view of the data.

> 2. CARP.

This exists as part of the OHAC project.
 -- richard

--

richard.ell...@richardelling.com
+1-760-896-4422

  • Re: [zfs-discuss]... Richard Elling
    • Re: [zfs-dis... Jim Klimov
      • Re: [zfs... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
        • Re: ... Jim Klimov
        • Re: ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
          • ... Jim Klimov
            • ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
              • ... Jim Klimov
              • ... Dan Swartzendruber
              • ... Dan Swartzendruber
              • ... Richard Elling